UEFA Chief ‘Very Satisfied’ With Security But Bans Players’ Kids From Celebrating On The Field

fus_em_2016_uefa_geisterspiele_body_kallen_ap-2346173

The scenes of toddlers in full Wales kit joining their dads on the field at full-time has added to the surprise feel-good story for Chris Coleman’s squad.

However, despite a successful tournament in term of safety so far, football’s big wigs have drawn the line at allowing children onto the pitch after games.

 

 

UEFA’s tournament director Martin Kallen says he is “very satisfied” with security operations at Euro 2016 ahead of the few matches.

The Swiss CEO (pictured), who played key roles at Euro 2004, 2008 and 2012, says the security risk level is “still the same as at the beginning [of the tournament]” but that there are “no issues.”

Despite this UEFA has had to become a real party pooper and decided to take a stance against players parading their children on the pitch at the end of Euro 2016 matches in the interests of safety.

The tournament director said: “It is a European Championship not a family party.”

Kallen added, “a stadium is not the most safe place for small kids” if fans invaded the field, and with ground staff operating machinery on the playing surface.

“It is nice pictures. We are not 100 per cent against it but we are cautious.

“It is getting more and more a habit that entire family members would like to go on the pitch or into the technical area. The principle is how far you go with having other people on the pitch than the players. People with accreditation cards should be on the pitch and not more.”

Kallen said the governing body has a responsibility to identify and reduce risk to ensure safety for all inside stadiums.

“Small kids of five, six years – if something happened, what do you do afterwards? What do you say?” he said. “From our side there should be a certain order.”

The Stade de France, which will host the Euro 2016 final on Sunday, was targeted on Nov. 13, 2015 during a France vs. Germany match when attacks in Paris killed 130 people.

Security has been increased at Euro 2016 as a result, and during the tournament authorities have so far removed suspect packages and conducted a controlled explosion on a car parked near the Stade de France ahead of France’s quarterfinal against Iceland.

“This was until now always a false alarm,” Kallen said. “We have worked very well together with the French authorities.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.